Welcome

Welcome to Weekly Bite!

Hi, I'm Estela. I'm a Registered Dietitian & stay-at-home mom living in Southern California. Weekly Bite is a lifestyle blog centered around food, life, & mommyhood. I hope you enjoy my recipes & adventures! Thanks for stopping by!

Print This Post Print This Post

Veggie Nuggets for Kids

By , March 31, 2011 7:46 am

It’s a good thing my kid loves food just as much as her shoes…

Because she really loves her shoes… I mean like, really…

If I let her sleep in her shoes she would.

These veggie nuggets climbed straight to the top of her favorites list! Whenever I make something for the first time she’s always a little hesitant. She’ll take a little nibble to test the waters, maybe take a gulp of milk, and if she likes it, she’ll nibble some more.

Maybe it was the fact that these were in nugget form that appealed to her. Maybe it was because these are made from the classic all-star kid veggie mix of carrots, peas, corn, green beans, & lima beans.

Recipe adapted from Nickelodeon.com

Ingredients

• 8 oz (half a bag) frozen mixed veggies (carrots, peas, corn, green beans, & lima beans)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • Juice of 1/2 small lemon
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cook veggies according to package directions. Let cool. Place veggies in a food processor and pulse a few times (don’t over process). In a large bowl, combine veggies, bread crumbs, egg, salt, garlic powder, lemon juice, & olive oil. Mix well using the back of your spoon to continue to mash the veggies.

Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Using a small scooper (I used a melon ball scooper), scoop the mixture onto the baking sheet. Using your hand, shape into a nugget form.

Bake at 350 degree for 40 minutes. Flip nuggets to other side after 20 minutes.

These nuggets will forever be in our lives (at least till she grows out of them ;) )

27 Responses to “Veggie Nuggets for Kids”

1. For kids? Heck, I’m making these for me!

2. Oh my goodness–these look so amazing!

3. Estela - Weekly Bite says:

I agree :) Mr. Weekly Bite couldn’t stop eating these!!

4. heck, i’d eat these! i can’t believe how light her hair is getting! such a pretty girl :)

5. Estela - Weekly Bite says:

6. these should be titled “veggie nuggets for jessica” because i would totally eat veggies this way!

7. Estela - Weekly Bite says:

Hahaha! You are too funny :)

8. Isn’t it great when your kids eat vegetables! It makes me feel like I’m doing something right. Besides, who wouldn’t love a veggie nugget?

9. These look super easy and sound delish. I bet they would make great snacks for me and the hubs now that we are trying to be healthy.

And you know you’re in trouble if she’s already loving shoes now!

10. These look great Estela! Definitely not just for kids. These are right up my alley. :)

11. Sarah says:

Oh,my goodness, I could use more veggies in my own diet. These look like a great solution!

12. Barbara says:

I am going to try these. I think we all would like these…maybe even my pickiest eater!

13. OMG! I can’t way to try these and make these for my 3 kids! Great one!

14. Heidi says:

What’s with little girls and shoes? Haha.. My son couldn’t have cared less and my daughter, as soon as she could move on her own was over at the shoes and chewing on them. Ew! Anyways, the nuggets look amazing! Forget the kids, even I love things like this. I especially love that they’re baked. Awesome!

15. Camille says:

Genius!

16. Lisa Suriano says:

Mmm YUM! These look delish!

17. These look delicious! I want to eat everything you make for your daughter.

18. Kelly says:

Ha…for kids…I want these!!

19. Love these! I hope it’s ok for adults to enjoy because these have my name written all over them! I’m having visions of a “grown-up” version as well. So fun!

20. I love making veggie nuggets. Such a fun way to eat your veggies! I love how you’ve included mixed veggies–great idea.

21. Carrie says:

Ohhh! I can’t wait to try these out on my three little girls. Looks so yummy :)

22. you always make me hit the bookmark button =) delish! the hubs would love these!

xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

23. Anne Keo says:

These look like a great lunch dish, snack, or side to dinner. Very versatile. Do they freeze and reheat well? (I’m a big fan of stocking my freezer to make life easier.)

24. Toni says:

What a gorgeous little girl!!!! :)
    Those nuggets are such a great idea!

25. Estela they look awesome!! I need to make something like this..I can even freeze/reheat as necessary. Great idea :)

26. What a brillant idea! My kids won’t even touch a vegetable, but I never though to make vegetables in nugget form.

27. Mary says:

I added ground turkey to the veggie mixture and ground up the veggies more. They make great meatballs this way!

• Weekly SauceSaucy Tips at Your Request
  • Lady CleverSensible, Smart & Chic
  • Weekly GravyNew Digital Mag for Men
  • The Health CastSuperb Advice. Healthy Results.
  • Top Coupons TodayTrusted Offers, Totally Free
  • PlaydateShare, Learn, Create
  • Weekly GrapeIn Vino Veritas
  • Weekly BiteFood. Life. & Mommyhood.
  • From Fries to FitA Journey to a Healthy and Balanced Life
  • Weekly MDTop Advice - Peak Results
  • Lady LivelyRefreshing Advice. Exceptional Results.