Did you know that the average person consumes an extra 600 calories per day between Thanksgiving and New Year’s?!? Yes my friends… the holiday’s are here! It may sound too soon to be saying that, but I was at Target the day after halloween and it looked liked Christmas had exploded all over the store! Plus, in my book, it’s never to early to get a healthy start on the holiday season!
Like everyone else, I try to make it through the holidays without going up a pant size! Here are some of my favorite tips!
- Think first – “Do I really like this?” “Do I need to eat the entire thing?”
- Just a taste – Remind yourself that all you really need is a taste to satisfy… no need to inhale the whole thing!
- Never attend a party hungry! – This is a very important rule! The hungrier you are the more you will eat! Make sure to eat a small low-fat snack or meal before attending an event or party
- Remember to exercise! Try to schedule something in every day!
- Strive for weight maintenence rather than weight loss.
- Make sure to always have veggies on your plate – enjoy the decadent stuff in small portions… no need to deprive yourself.
- Alcohol increases our appetite! Alternate alcohol with water or seltzer… hydration is key!
- Learn the art of saying “No, thank you. I’m full.” We can decline food without sounding rude. When someone is pushing food, in a very kind and casual voice, tell them “No thanks, I’m full.”
- Be prepared for social pressures. A sense of humor and a smile go a long way when you want to stick to a healthy plan.
- Be persistent and positive! Sometimes it’s easy to get discouraged if you have a bad day. Remember… it’s just one day and there’s always tomorrow 🙂
- Visualize yourself succeeding – this is a big one! Carry a positive and confident attitude that you will succeed!
- Balance a heavy meal with a lighter one… make it a vow to never eat two heavy meals in a row.
- Focus on enjoying family and friends. By far, the most important of all!