Greek Orzo Pasta Salad
My website is fixed! Please update your Google Readers http://weeklybite.com/feed/
It’s Thursday! Sweet!
Thursday is my third most favorite day of the week… which leads to Friday…
Friday is my second favorite day of the week… I love Friday! Mainly because I know I don’t have to prep for work the next morning, or get my daughter prepped for daycare. I love Friday because I can come home and relax…
Can you guess what my favorite day of the week is?
Saturday is my most favorite day of the week…
Reasons I love Saturday:
- I don’t have to wake up at the crack of dawn to get a workout in before my husband leaves for work.
- I can sleep in (if my daughter lets me.)
- I can stay in my pj’s if I want.
- Do some house chores (yes, I enjoy doing these.)
- Work on blog posts for the coming week.
- Do fun cooking/baking for the blog and my family 🙂
- Grocery shopping trip done by me!
Grocery shopping is something I love doing. I do most of the shopping and know exactly what to buy for the week.
Every two or three weeks, my husband likes to do a massive grocery shopping trip.
He comes home with all sorts of stuff. The staples he always buys are yogurt for himself (he never buys the yogurt I eat), many many loaves of bread (he likes to freeze them), protein bars (only the ones that he likes), cereal (if I don’t give him a special list he will only buy “Honey Bunches of Oats”), and MEAT. He’ll come home with massive quantities of chicken and steak. He always buys meat. Mainly steak.
Every weekend I ask him what he wants to eat. I don’t know why I ask him, because he always says the same thing… “STEAK!”
He usually likes the standard steak fixins’ which consist of potatoes and salad.
This time I thought I’d change it up with a refreshing pasta salad.
This salad contains the classic combo of red onions, cucumber, feta, kalamata olives, artichokes, and tomatoes.
This pasta salad was the perfect side dish for a heavy steak.
This salad can easily be made into a complete meal by adding some chopped up chicken breast… which is exactly what I did with the leftovers.
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 small can of marinated artichokes
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 1/2 cup pitted and roughly chopped kalamata olives
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 small cucumber seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil pasta for 8-10 minutes until al dente, drain. Drain artichokes & reserved the liquid.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, season with salt & pepper to taste.
Chill for at least one hour.
Drizzle with a little of the artichoke marinade and serve.
Question of the Day?
What’s your favorite day of the week and why?