I’ve never really tasted a healthy mac-n-cheese that I’ve liked… for some reason I felt it was always missing something. After fiddling around with several recipes, I finally found one that tasted just as good as the real thing!
First you want to melt a three tablespoons of butter in a saucepan.
Next you take a 1/4 cup flour and whisk into melted butter until fully blended
Pour 2 cups skim milk into flour mixture and stir until thickened
Add two cups 2% grated cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup grated parmesan, stir until melted
Boil 1 1/2 cups Barilla Pasta and cook according to boxed instructions
Pour drained pasta in 2 quart dish and stir in cheese sauce
For added freshness, I like to chop up a few Roma tomatoes for the top
Combine 1 cup bread crumbs with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and sprinkle on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
The end result is a perfect mac-n-cheese that is light and satisfying! This can easily be made into a meat dish by adding some cooked ground turkey before going in the oven.
- 1 ½ cups elbow macaroni
- 3 T butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 C skim milk
- 1 t dry mustard
- ½ t salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 C grated cheddar cheese
- 1 C grated parmesan cheese
- 2-4 roma tomatoes – sliced
- 1 C bread crumbs
- Cook pasta until firm. Set aside.
- Melt butter on low heat. Whisk in flour and stir for about 3 minutes until blended.
- Pour in milk and continue to whisk until mixture comes to a light boil. Sauce will thicken some. Add mustard, salt, and pepper and continue to cook at a low simmer, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened – about 3 minutes.
- Stir in cheddar cheese and half (1/2 cup) of the parmesan cheese.
- Stir until cheese has melted.
- Place cooked macaroni in a greased baking dish.
- Pour sauce over the macaroni and stir until macaroni is fully coated.
- In a small bowl mix together bread crumbs and remaining parmesan cheese. Top with sliced tomatoes and sprinkle crumb mixture over the pasta.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
What’s your favorite mac-n-cheese dish?